Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Project 43

In theory this should be a very straightforward exercise, and I understand the rationale behind doing it, to observe how light changes through the day and how this affects the image.  However, in practice it is nearly impossible to complete in a city environment where the nearest open space is 30 minutes walk away.  Any building or interesting object is going to be in shade for some time in the day as the Sun moves around the sky.  There are isolated views in the city and I will use them later in this chapter, however, all are more than 30 minutes walk from where I live and so not really practical for this exercise.  Living in an area dominated by 5 story apartment blocks makes this exercise very difficult to do without committing a very considerable amount of time, that I am afraid I do not have.

I have, however, done the best I can by selecting a constant view close to my house that includes greenery, white walls, and red terracotta roofing tiles to ensure variable colour.  I also worked on the photo's in early October when we had a string of very sunny days.  The results are below, 12 shots each roughly one hour apart



The difference between the images is not as striking as I expected (all are processed to the same WB - "Daylight").  The problem is likely to stem from the shade generated as the Sun moves around the sky.  Very noticeable is how the grass goes yellow in the Sun and how the white walls wash out in the strong light.  The red of the roofs changes through the day, although again this is light versus shade.

In later work I will look at the colour of light at different times of day - this was a very disappointing exercise that proved very little that was not already common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment